Ontario’s top doctor has refused a request from the acting medical officer of health for Windsor-Essex and other public health leaders to reinstate the mask mandate in schools.
The local health unit on Friday confirmed that the province would not be bringing back the mask policy at this time.
In a statement obtained by Toronto news outlet CP24, Dr. Kieran Moore, chief medical officer of health for Ontario, said the mask mandate is not needed in classrooms. But Dr. Shanker Nesathurai continues to ask the province to bring the mandate back.
“With the goal of advancing the health of the community, the Windsor Essex Health Unit continues to recommend that masks be worn at indoor settings including schools, college and universities,” the health unit told the Star in a written statement.
Nesathurai “has requested that the province require wearing a mask indoors during periods of increased COVID-19 activity.”
Public Health Ontario said last month that the decision to end mandatory masking in schools on March 21 was “temporally associated” with the start of Ontario’s sixth wave of COVID-19.
In the statement to CP24, Moore said he will “continue to monitor the data and the COVID-19 situation across the province to assess the need for any changes to the (masking) order or other public health measures at a provincial level.”