Ontario Health has directed most hospitals to ramp down elective surgeries effective Monday as the province reported the second highest number of new COVID-19 numbers since the start of the pandemic.
Health Minister Christine confirmed 4,277 new cases, including 1,218 in Toronto, 762 in Peel Region and 532 in York Region – all records for those jurisdictions.
Hospitals are also reporting pandemic-high admissions to ICUs.
Eighteen more deaths were linked to the virus, according to the province.
Roughly 44% — or 1,863 — of the new cases are variants of concern.
Anthony Dale, president and CEO of the Ontario Hospital Association (OHA), tweeted the new hospitalization numbers.
April 9 – 541 patients now in Ontario ICUs with COVID related critical illness on a total census of 1,869. 54 new admissions yesterday. #onhealth #onpoli pic.twitter.com/zD20mc6hxw — Anthony Dale (@AnthonyDaleOHA) April 9, 2021
“April 9 — 541 patients now in Ontario ICUs with COVID related critical illness on a total census of 1,869. 54 new admissions yesterday,” Dale said.
The halt in elective procedures will have a large impact on the already massive backlog.
The latest provincial modelling by the Ontario COVID-19 Science Table said the cumulative pandemic backlog for surgical cases was 245,367 cases.
Public health officials have warned variants of concern (VOC), mutations that are more contagious and potentially lethal, had a head start in the race against vaccination.
Ontario has confirmed 11,492 cases in total of the B.1.1.7 or United Kingdom variant, 76 cases of the B.1.351 or South African variant and 133 cases of the P.1 Brazilian variant in total.
The Doug Ford government stepped on its emergency brake last week, and this week slammed on a stay-at-home order, putting the province back into deep lockdown.